|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4|
|Level 5||Level 6||Level 7||Level 8|
- The Dark Elixir Drill collects Dark Elixir from an unlimited underground reserve, and stores it until it is collected by the player and placed into a Dark Elixir Storage. When the drill is full, production will be stopped until it is collected.
- Attackers can steal up to 75% of the uncollected Dark Elixir in the drill. Having too many uncollected resources will make players a more attractive target.
- The Dark Elixir Drill takes up a 3x3 tile space.
- The Dark Elixir Drill is unlocked at Town Hall level 7, along with the Storage. The second and third drills are unlocked at Town Halls 8 and 9, respectively.
- When you choose to upgrade a Dark Elixir Drill, it will automatically collect any uncollected Dark Elixir. Note that if your Dark Elixir Storage is full at that time, the uncollected Dark Elixir will be lost. During the upgrade the drill temporarily stops producing Dark Elixir; if it is destroyed in an attack while the upgrade is in progress, the defender will not lose any resources from the drill, as the drill is empty.
- It can be difficult to see without zooming in, but you can visually tell approximately how much Dark Elixir a Dark Elixir Drill currently contains by looking at the glass box on the top rear portion of the drill. An empty (clear) box means the Drill is less than 20% full, while a full (black) box means the Drill is at least 60% full.
- You can temporarily boost its production with Gems or a Resource Potion. Spending Gems will double the Drill's production rate for 1 day, while using a Resource Potion will boost all Dark Elixir Drills as well as all Gold Mines and Elixir Collectors.
- When raiding, the easiest way to tell the difference between the various levels of enemy Drills is to look at the Drill's footings. Unlike the top of the Drill, there is a very recognizable difference between the footings at every level.'
- Dark Elixir Drills undergo a significant visual change at level 3, 5, and 8.
- When initially constructed, the Dark Elixir Drill consists of a huge helical auger, suspended from a sturdy wooden frame with mortared stone footings. A deep hole, framed with wood, sits under the auger.
- At level 2, the Drill's footings become smooth white stone, and the tops of the wooden pillars suspending the auger receive plating. Three hexagonal shapes are also added to the top of the drill.
- At level 3, a large part of the drill's top surface and frame become covered in gold plating, and the footings gain a grey metal band.
- At level 4, the footings trade their smooth stone and grey plate for smooth dark iron.
- At level 5, the mining hole increases in size showing rocks surrounding the hole, and the footings acquire a gold band.
- At level 6, the gold cover on the footings is replaced by a spiked gold plate. The auger itself turns to gold as well.
- At level 7, the spikes on the bottom become more scarce and spread out while the bolts on the top change position slightly.
- At level 8, the spikes on the bottom are coated with dark metal and protrude from a trapezoidal prism. The top and the sides of the drill are now dark metal as well. The "shoulders" are slightly bigger and the mining hole is now framed with dark bricks.
|Steal 20,000 Dark Elixir||10||5|
|Steal 250,000 Dark Elixir||100||10|
|Steal 1,000,000 Dark Elixir||1,000||20|
|January 10, 2013||Update||Added the Dark Elixir Drill, with 6 levels and two of them to unlock.|
|January 11, 2013||Maintenance Break||
|May 23, 2013||Update||
|August 9, 2013||Maintenance Break||
|December 11, 2014||Update||
|July 1, 2015||Update||
|June 26, 2018||Balance Changes||
|October 23, 2018||Update||Added the level 7 Dark Elixir Drill.|
|April 2, 2019||Update||
|March 30, 2020||Update||
- The level 3 Dark Elixir Drill will continue to produce over the course of a full 12-hour shield (assuming it was empty when the shield is obtained). A level 4 Dark Elixir Drill will continue to produce over the course of a full 14-hour shield. A level 5 Dark Elixir Drill will continue to produce over the course of a full 16-hour shield.
- According to a tweet by Clash of Clans, Dark Elixir is a renewable clean energy source.
- This contradicts a post saying Dark Elixir is a form of fossil fuels.
- The Dark Elixir Drill is one of the four buildings associated with Dark Elixir, the other three being the Dark Barracks, Dark Spell Factory, and Dark Elixir Storage.
- The Dark Elixir Drill, Elixir Storage and Dark Elixir Storage are the only resources in the Home Village that don't appear in a loading screen.
- Although directly selecting a Dark Elixir Drill with a Dark Elixir bubble above it automatically collects any resources it has stored, there is a way to check how much Dark Elixir has been stored without collecting it. This can be done by moving any other building to an invalid spot on your map (e.g., off the edge of your map, or fully or partially occupied by an obstacle, decoration, or another building) and releasing it while its surrounding square has turned red. Then select the desired Dark Elixir Drill and choose the "Info" option to display the amount of Dark Elixir gathered by the drill to that point.
|Tapping this icon displays information about the Dark Elixir Drill, such as Level, Capacity, Production and Hitpoints.|
|Tapping this icon begins upgrading the Dark Elixir Drill to the next level, if you have enough resources and a free Builder. When the Dark Elixir Drill is at maximum level, this icon is not shown.|
|Tapping this icon instantly upgrades the Dark Elixir Drill to the next level, at the cost of one Hammer of Building if you have one. When the Dark Elixir Drill is at maximum level, or if the Town Hall requirements for the next level are not met, this icon is not shown.|
|Tapping this icon, which is displayed only while an upgrade is in progress, instantly finishes that upgrade at the cost of the displayed number of Gems.|
|Tapping this icon, which is displayed only while an upgrade is in progress, instantly finishes that upgrade at the cost of one Book of Building. This icon is only shown if you have at least one Book of Building.|
|Tapping this icon, which is displayed only while an upgrade is in progress, instantly finishes that upgrade at the cost of one Book of Everything. This icon is only shown if you have at least one Book of Everything but do not have a Book of Building.|
|Tapping this icon, which is displayed only while an upgrade is in progress, boosts all your Builders for 1 hour by a factor of ten, at the cost of one Builder Potion. This icon is only shown if you have at least one Builder Potion.|
|Tapping this icon, which is displayed only while an upgrade is in progress, cancels the current upgrade and refunds half of the upgrade cost.|
|Tapping this icon boosts your Dark Elixir production for 1 day at the cost of the displayed amount of Gems.|
|Tapping this icon boosts your Dark Elixir production of all the Dark Elixir Drills for 1 day at the cost of the displayed amount of Gems.|
|Tapping this icon boosts the production of all the Resource collector buildings for 1 day at the cost of one Resource Potion. This icon is only shown if you have at least one Resource Potion.|
|Tapping this icon collects the uncollected Dark Elixir from the Dark Elixir Drill.|
|This icon informs you that you don't have Dark Elixir to be collected from your Dark Elixir Drill.|
|Town Hall Level||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12||13||14|
||Time to Fill
||Catch-Up Point*||Town Hall Level Required|
|5||1,280||80/hr||1,060||25||16h||1,500,000||1d 12h||360||4d 12h||9|
|8||3,000||140/hr||1,380||40||21h 25m 43s||3,000,000||4d||587||24d||11|
Caveat: The Catch-Up Point calculation assumes that the player collects all resources from the Dark Elixir Drill without allowing it to reach its storage capacity, as resource production ceases at that point. This is more of a concern at lower levels where the capacity is limited and Time to Fill is relatively short. If the player is unable to regularly collect and achieve the full potential of the collector, the Catch-Up Point is actually shorter, and performing the upgrade becomes more advantageous.
|Home Village Buildings|
|Defensive Buildings||Cannon • Archer Tower • Mortar • Air Defense • Wizard Tower • Air Sweeper • Hidden Tesla • Bomb Tower • X-Bow • Inferno Tower • Eagle Artillery • Scattershot • Builder's Hut • Giga Tesla • Giga Inferno (TH13) • Giga Inferno (TH14) • Walls|
|Resource Buildings||Town Hall (Magic Items) • Gold Mine • Elixir Collector • Dark Elixir Drill • Gold Storage • Elixir Storage • Dark Elixir Storage • Clan Castle (Treasury)|
|Army Buildings||Army Camp • Barracks • Dark Barracks • Laboratory • Spell Factory • Dark Spell Factory • Workshop • Barbarian King Altar • Archer Queen Altar • Grand Warden Altar • Royal Champion Altar • Pet House|
|Other Buildings||Boat • Decorations • Obstacles • Loot Cart • Strongman's Caravan • Super Sauna • Builder's Hut • Master Builder's Hut|