|Level 1-3||Level 4||Level 5|
- The Electro Dragon is the 13th troop unlocked in the Barracks. They are powerful air units with mediocre health and high damage.
- Electro Dragons have no preferred target when attacking; they will simply attack the closest building. However, once they become aware of enemy Clan Castle troops, Heroes, or Skeleton Trap skeletons (either by being attacked themselves or by being near another friendly troop under attack), they will leave their previously targeted building and instead engage the enemy troops. Once all of the nearby enemy troops are defeated, the Electro Dragons will proceed to attack the nearest structure.
- The Electro Dragon attacks with chain lightning, capable of hitting up to 4 other targets after the initial hit, with each successive hit inflicting 20% less damage than the previous one. In order for the lightning to chain onto another target, it must be sufficiently close to the previous target.
- The targets of the Electro Dragon's chain lightning are determined by distance, with hitpoints as a tiebreaker; to determine the next target, the target that is closest to the previous target and that has not yet been hit is chosen. If the closest targets are equidistant from the previous target, the one with highest (maximum) hitpoints is chosen. Thus, it chains through buildings with most hitpoints near the primary or previous target while ignoring low hitpoint buildings to make full use of its chain damage.
- When destroyed, the Electro Dragon causes the nearby ground to be struck randomly with lightning bolts, in a similar fashion to the Lightning Spell prior to its rework in 2020.
- The Electro Dragon has a short range. However, its high damage and chain ability significantly increases its practical reach. They can act as flying Bowlers (taking more space but with superior health, damage and a different hit mechanic) as they can hit multiple targets at once and help funnel in attacks.
- Electro Dragons are very effective against bases with clustered buildings, because it can make full usage of its chain damage.
- Electro Dragons work well with the Grand Warden in air mode as he can boost their health and support them.
- Seeking Air Mines will significantly damage your Electro Dragons. It is helpful to send in air units (such as Balloons) before the Electro Dragons to trigger any Seeking Air Mines that might ambush your army early. They can also help funnel for the Electro Dragons to enter the core of the base. You can also use a strategy called "Electro Surgery" (from the Practice Mode) by using as many Electro Dragons as possible and filling the rest of the space with Balloons. Be sure to include some Rage, Clone and Haste Spells to support the push.
- A Queen Walk can be used with Electro Dragons by using 4-5 Healers to as many Electro Dragons as possible (also called "Electro Queen"). Although the Healers will use space that would otherwise go to 2 or 3 Electro Dragons, this can be offset by using the walk to eliminate weaknesses for Electro Dragons, such as Air Defenses and/or Air Sweepers. If you have any extra space, you can add in some Balloons to tank for some Traps that may be set off.
- Heroes (especially the Barbarian King) can tank and funnel for the Electro Dragons, though one should be wary of triggering ground-only Clan Castle troops when using any Hero that isn't the Grand Warden in air mode, as they can distract the Electro Dragons.
- An Electro Dragon affected by the Rage Spell packs insane power, destroying most buildings in one hit, even instantly killing Archer Queen's alone this way (up to level 71), and a single Electro Dragon destroying any Town Hall in 3 hits. Note that the spell's effect only applies if the Electro Dragon is within the spell's AOE.
- An Air Sweeper can stall Electro Dragons indefinitely due to their slow fire rate and slow movement speed, especially if the Air Sweeper is high-leveled. To combat this, a Haste Spell can be used to quickly move the Electro Dragons back into attack range and attack before the Air Sweeper fires again, or a Freeze Spell can be used on the Sweeper to stop it from firing at all (though this is often situational, as Freeze Spells are often better used on more threatening defenses such as single-target Inferno Towers).
- Don't start an attack with Electro Dragons in an corner of a base as they may be split up and taken out, resulting in a defeat or a poor attack.
- When facing an Electro Dragon in the Clan Castle, using a Poison Spell could make it so that the Electro Dragon may not even be able to charge up an actual hit due to it's already low attack speed, which can be helpful for your troops to kill it.
- For the lightning arc to chain, buildings must be spaced one tile apart at most. Therefore, by spacing them out further it is possible to drastically reduce their effectiveness.
- If there are multiple buildings that the chain lightning can jump between, the lightning will chain onto the closest building that it has not yet hit, and if there are multiple candidates for the closest building, the building with the highest initial hitpoints is chosen. Use this to your advantage to redirect lightning away from important buildings; for example, resource storages, despite their non-defensive nature, can be used as "lightning rods" in this fashion due to their high hitpoints.
- Clan Castle Electro Dragons on defense are very intimidating troops, as the chain lightning can be used to destroy many group of weaker troops while its high damage devastates tougher ones, unless one has a Poison Spell to damage and delay it.
- Electro Dragons are also able to one-shot lower level Archer Queens. This makes the Electro Dragon one of the best defending Clan Castle troops at TH9. It is able to punish rushed or inexperienced attackers. Keeping an Electro Dragon and a Balloon can kill the enemy's Queen even with her ability.
- Its Chain Lightning allows it to be useful on defense as it can kill up to five spread-out Archers or Wizards at a time. However, its slow fire rate makes it vulnerable to be easily killed by the Archer Queen under her ability; if it is harmed by a Poison Spell at the same time, the Electro Dragon may not even be able to charge up an attack in time before it is killed. The lightning it drops upon death is strong enough to take out entire groups of Wizards and Archers.
- If you don't prevent the Electro Dragon's Chain Lightning, it will pick off most of your buildings and even take the Eagle Artillery out without it being able to do much damage or even snipe the Archer Queen.
- If you can see a possible Electro Dragon spot that chains all the way to an Air Defense, then use a Hidden Tesla to redirect the shot and also make sure that Air Defense can snipe that possible Electro Dragon Spot to protect it.
- The Air Sweeper can push back the Electro Dragon far enough that when it gets back to a building and is about to fire, it can push it back. Basically, it can repeatedly stall the Dragon for a very long time. If you can guess where an attacker will place their Electro Dragon army, then cover it with the Air Sweeper.
- A max level Air Sweeper itself can push Electro Dragons far enough that they will never reach it. This could force the use of a Rage Spell, Freeze Spell or Haste Spell that could be used more effectively elsewhere.
- Having a Lava Hound could prove useful against an Electro Dragon attack, as its high hitpoints and large number of Lava Pups spawned on death stalls an Electro Dragon attack significantly. However, since the Lava Hound targets ground only, it will not appear unless ground troops (such as your Heroes) are placed in the vicinity.
- The Electro Dragon undergoes significant visual changes at only level 4 and 5.
- At level 1, the Electro Dragon appears as a large blue dragon with large azure wings. It has a large horn on the head and several light blue spikes on its back, as well as a tail with flippers.
- The Electro Dragon does not change in appearance between level 1-3, but its size grows larger.
- At level 4, the Electro Dragon's wings gain white highlights.
- At level 5, the Electro Dragon gains a green, metallic collar with glowing blue line on it that slowly gets brighter as the Electro Dragon's spikes light up. The Electro Dragon also produces electricity from its wings.
|June 8, 2018||Sneak Peek||Announced the Electro Dragon, with 3 levels.|
|June 11, 2018||Update||Added the Electro Dragon.|
|October 23, 2018||Update||Reduced Electro Dragon's gem donation cost.|
|April 2, 2019||Update|
|December 9, 2019||Update||Added the level 4 Electro Dragon.|
|March 30, 2020||Update||Fixed a bug where the Electro Dragon sometimes targets the same target twice within a single lightning chain.|
|June 22, 2020||Update||Fixed minor visual to Electro Dragon's chain lightning.|
|October 12, 2020||Update||
|April 12, 2021||Update||Fixed Electro Dragon's spinning death animation.|
|June 15, 2021||Update||Added the level 5 Electro Dragon.|
|December 9, 2021||Update||Reduced upgrade time at level 2: 10d -> 8d|
|February 16, 2022||Update||Increased movement speed from 1.5 tiles/s to 1.6 tiles/s (in-game, the displayed speed increased from 12 to 13).|
- Despite the electric theme the Electro Dragon possesses, they are unlocked at Town Hall 11 and not at Town Hall 12 (though it was added in the Town Hall 12 update).
- This is the same case with the Yeti, where it possesses winter theme that matches Town Hall 13, but can be unlocked at Town Hall 12 that has electric theme (and the Barracks at that level has blue spikes representing Town Hall 13). The same goes for the Lava Hound, released when Town Hall 10 was the maximum but can be unlocked at Town Hall 9.
- You can have a maximum of 10 Electro Dragons at one time in a complete set of fully upgraded Army Camps. This number increases to 11 if you include the 1 that can fit into a level 5 or higher Clan Castle. On the battlefield, you can clone an additional 4 Electro Dragons with four level 5 or higher Clone Spells (three from the regular spell inventory and one from a max-level Clan Castle), for a total of 15 Electro Dragons.
- Unlike the Lightning Spell, the Electro Dragon's death damage can harm resource storages.
- The spikes along the back of the Electro Dragon lights up along their back, tail to head one at a time. When all are lit up it shoots lightning right after.
- Despite having the same name as a troop in Clash of Clans, the Electro Dragon in Clash Royale has a different appearance and design. The one in Clash Royale looks like a baby version of Clash of Clans' Electro Dragon, being smaller in size.
- The Electro Dragon in Clash Royale also only hits up to three targets with its chain lightning, has the same damage for all three hits, stuns with its strike and does not inflict death damage.
- When the player taps on an Army Camp housing Electro Dragons, they all re-start their idle animation.
- They will also make sound effects when they move from one place to another.
- The Electro Dragon's death sound is the same as the Dragon's.
- Though the June 2020 update changed the Lightning Spell’s strike count from six strikes to one, this did not affect the Electro Dragon's Death Damage.
- It is one of the 4 troops in the game that has a spell-like effect after death, along with Super Valkyrie, Ice Golem and Ice Hound .
- It is the only Elixir Troop to possess this trait.
- The Electro Dragon has the least amount of visual changes, but technically they grow in size at levels 1-3.
- The Electro Dragon is one of the five troops to be associated with electricity, the others being the Super Wizard, Electro Owl, Super P.E.K.K.A and the Battle Machine (when activating his ability).
- The Electro Dragon is one of the several troops not to have a Super Troop or Builder Base counterpart, like the Healer, Miner, Yeti, Dragon Rider, Golem, Ice Golem and the Headhunter.
- The Electro Dragon is one of the five troops associated with Dragons, the others are the Baby Dragon, Dragon Rider, Super Dragon and the Inferno Dragon.
- The Electro Dragon is the only troop to have no visual change at level 1-3 instead of level 1-2 like most troops.
- The Electro Dragon produces wing sound effects when idling.
- Idle sound effects are unique to the Electro Dragon and are not shared by any other troop.
|Preferred Target||Attack Type||Housing Space||Movement Speed||Attack Speed||Barracks Level Required||Range|
|Any||Chain Lightning (x5 buildings)||30||13||3.5s||13||3 tiles|
|Training Time of Electro Dragons|
|1 Barracks||2 Barracks||3 Barracks||4 Barracks|
||Damage per Second (Primary Target)
||Damage per Attack (Primary Target)
||Damage when destroyed
||Laboratory Level Required|