- The Freeze Spell is the 5th Elixir Spell unlocked at level 4 Spell Factory alongside the Jump Spell, that requires the Town Hall to be at level 9. The Freeze Spell is used to temporarily disable defenses and/or ground and air troops from the enemy Clan Castle within a small radius. Until the spell's duration finishes, the affected enemy units will neither move nor attack (or heal, in the case of a Healer being frozen).
- Enemy Troops that are not within its radius when the spell is cast are unaffected by the Freeze Spell, even if they move into the area of effect while it is still active.
- It is one of the least expensive Elixir Spells in the game, due to it taking only one spell space compared to two or three for most other Elixir Spells.
- It cannot freeze an enemy Hidden Tesla before it has been revealed. However, if the Hidden Tesla is revealed while the Freeze Spell is active, and the Hidden Tesla is in the radius of the spell, the Hidden Tesla will be inactive until the duration of the spell ends.
- This spell can be used to freeze the Wizard Tower to allow your swarm of Barbarians or Archers to destroy it without being completely eliminated.
- It can also freeze an Air Defense, which will buy some time for your air units to get closer to the Air Defense to destroy it. This can be extremely effective when utilizing an all-Balloon army.
- The Freeze Spell can also be used to freeze X-Bows, Inferno Towers and the Eagle Artillery, allowing stronger units such as P.E.K.K.As to live longer without single-target Inferno Towers, weaker units such as Barbarians to live longer without X-Bows and multi-target Inferno Towers, and clustered troops to live longer without the Eagle Artillery.
- In the case of the single-target Inferno Tower, the Freeze Spell is a much more effective option than the Healing Spell, as the Freeze Spell can completely negate the Inferno Tower for its entire duration, and once the spell's effect ends, the Inferno Tower's damage is reset to its initial state. Since a Freeze Spell now takes one spell space, you can now reset single-target Inferno Towers twice with two spell spaces; formerly you could only reset it once.
- It can also freeze powerful Clan Castle troops such as Dragons and Wizards, buying your troops time to kill these units before they have a chance to wreak havoc on your attack plans. If cast in the correct location, it can also serve a double purpose by also freezing powerful defenses (such as Inferno Towers) at the same time. However, for weaker units, a Lightning Spell or Poison Spell may be a more expedient (and cheaper) option.
- When most or all of your heavier units are destroyed, cast a Freeze Spell at area splash structures near the main part of your remaining army. This way, your Troops have a better chance at survival and may be able to take out the structure quickly before it becomes active again.
- Both the Lightning and Freeze Spells can disrupt the damage of a single-target Inferno Tower. Freeze Spells are better used when an Inferno Tower has high health as the Inferno Tower is left inactive for a longer amount of time (and a short stun may not be as beneficial).
- Freeze Spells are commonly used to defend troops from Inferno Towers. Using an Inferno Island (an Inferno Tower surrounded by Walls and a 2 or 3 tile gap with nothing else) will prevent extra value from the freeze. Similar islands can also be constructed with Scattershots or X-Bows.
- Forcing too many Freeze Spells can ruin an attacker's plan. Spread out your splash defenses and make sure their range doesn't go outside Walls (or else a Giant can be placed and save a Freeze) to make many Freeze Spells required.
- Hidden Teslas and Tornado Traps can delay attacking troops, making a Freeze Spell run out before the Freeze Spell's objective is destroyed. Use this to your advantage.
|October 29, 2012||ChuckNorris suggests adding the Freeze Spell.|
|June 17, 2013||Added the Freeze Spell, with 3 levels and unlocked at Town Hall level 10.|
|August 27, 2013|
|November 6, 2013||Brewing Freeze Spells now cost Elixir instead of Gold.|
|January 29, 2014|
|July 1, 2015||Reduced brewing time from 45m to 30m.|
|September 9, 2015||The Freeze Spell can now also affect defending air units.|
|December 10, 2015||Moved the Freeze Spell to level 4 Spell Factory, which is at Town Hall level 9.|
|March 21, 2016||Reduced brewing time from 30m to 20m.|
|May 4, 2016||Reduced brewing time from 20 to 10m.|
|October 12, 2016||Reduced brewing time from 10m to 6m.|
|May 22, 2017||
|June 11, 2018||
|June 26, 2018||
|April 2, 2019|
|March 30, 2020||
|April 12, 2021||
|December 9, 2021||Reduced upgrade costs and times at levels 2-5.|
- When used, the grass will turn light bluish (like ice), the defenses and other buildings will have a tint of light blue and the Walls will look as if they are made out of ice (the texture still remains the same).
- Among all Home Village troops and spells, the Freeze Spell is currently the only one that has 3 upgrades (Levels 3-5) Levels unlocked at one Laboratory level, that being Level 8.
- When Freeze Spells were moved down to be unlocked with a level 4 Spell Factory, between this point and the introduction of the Clone Spell, there was a period of time where the level 5 Spell Factory did not introduce a new spell to be unlocked.
- The Freeze Spell will pause the Weather Vane's and the Storied Statue's animations when deployed on top of them.
- Troops with death animations (such as Balloons) that are destroyed while under the effect of the Freeze Spell will have their death animation paused until the end of the Freeze Spell's effect (although any death effects that occur will happen at the correct time). Similarly, if a Hero is knocked out while frozen by a Freeze Spell, their KO animation does not start until the Freeze Spell wears off (they instead remain frozen in the pose they were in when frozen, while other corresponding effects i.e. sounds and explosions occur normally).
- If one manages to drop a Freeze Spell before a Hidden Tesla pops up and then the Hidden Tesla pop up right after, the Hidden Tesla will remain invisible until the Freeze Spell expires while Troops can still damage it.
- Freeze Spell is 1 of 2 spells that the icon was changed. The other being Lightning Spell.
|Radius||Housing Space||Brewing Time||Spell Factory Level Required|
|Level||Freeze Time||Research Cost||Research Time||Laboratory Level Required|
|2||3.0 seconds||1,200,000||1d 12h||7|
|5||4.5 seconds||5,000,000||7d 12h||8|
|7||5.5 seconds||11,000,000||11d 12h||10|