Many Clashers try to fight for a spot on the top of the leaderboards and the chance of immortalizing our name, declaring ourselves a true champion/victor. Many of us want to spread our glory as a clan by crushing others in Clan Wars. Many of us also want to save resources from attackers who want them. However, these can't be achieved unless we have a viable defense, carefully crafted, capable of withstanding various attacks with its objectives in mind.
Whether you're pushing, farming or warring, base design is crucial and contributes to success in the various routes we want to take.
This page is dedicated to sound strategy that will help you build your base. You should never copy any base you see on the web since any published base can have all weaknesses known. However, knowing how to build a base and having examples will allow you to create your own nuances in a base.
Foundation of a Great Layout
Building a defense means understanding how the troops that attack it work, what they target and ways to target them. Knowing the types of armies your attacker may be using goes a long way toward this goal. No base is a perfect defense against every type of attack, however building against common attacks can help ensure success.
The first thing is to know what you're trying to achieve. There are many different types of bases that you can make in Clash of Clans and it is vital that you make a well designed base for the job that you want it to do. There are therefore a few fundamentals that you need to understand in order to achieve a good design.
Farming Bases are designed against multiplayer opponents who are farming for your resources. You are protecting Elixir, Gold and Dark Elixir from easily being stolen by making other targets more viable than them. You are also giving up minor resources and keeping major ones highly protected.
- Farming Bases typically have their Clan Castle in the middle off the base along with any major resource storages close by. If a Dark Elixir Storage is owned, it is the most valuable resource so it is protected above all other resources.
- Other resource storages are distributed evenly around the main compartments so you don’t lose all your resources at once. Make sure each of them is well protected by two or three well placed defensive buildings. Triangulation of defensive buildings is a very important aspect of your base. It is the idea that your defenses are distributed to ensure maximum coverage of your entire base. Triangulation is particularly important for Mortars and Air Defenses as they highly damage certain armies by the enemy.
- Also make sure you put as many high level collectors inside your walled base as possible, as collectors can be an easy source of resources for an attacker if they are not emptied regularly. Low level collectors are not as important and good attackers will know the difference.
- Segmentation is not as important in farming bases as there tend to be larger compartments that contain storages and several defensive buildings. However, it is still wise to use it when you can. It is recommended to have a layout like a 3 ring defence.
- Firstly, in your first ring or main compartment, you should place your Clan Castle, most prized storage/s and a couple of defenses (e.g. Mortar and Air Defence). In the main second ring, split it up so you have roughly four compartments with a storage each, but also with several defenses (e.g. Gold and Elixir storages + Wizard Towers, X-Bows, Inferno Towers and Air Sweepers). And in your third ring, you should place collectors and other Defensive Buildings, like Cannons and Archer Towers.
- The Town Hall should be protected like a storage, either in you center compartment, or the second layer, although that is risky.
- If you want to win defenses with farming, then here are some tips;
- 1) Have your Town Hall in range of the highest level defenses, and make sure they can shoot Archers/Wizards too. Also have a possible maximum level Archer Tower, Cannon, and Mortar. If they can shoot Barbarians and Archers, then they will be killed very quickly.
- 2) You should have high level Gold Mine and Elixir Collector outside your walls. If you are a frequent player, then this wont be a very big problem; The attacker might see that you have a lot of available loot and attack your Mines and Collectors rather than your base. This is a good trick if you have level 9-12 gold and elixir storages, because they will usually look nearly empty; Then the attacker will realize that there isn't very much and the remaining troops will be unable to destroy the base.
- 3) Make sure you have no shield when you get of the game for a long amount of time; attackers will be more likely to raid before a lot of resources accumulate and you wont lose as much.
- Aim: Protect Trophies
- The Town Hall is normally situated in a main compartment with the Clan Castle, Air Defenses and Air Sweepers. If you are a higher level, it should be with the X-Bow, Inferno Tower, and Eagle Artillery. This means that whatever level you are, you need to have a centralized Town Hall that is heavily protected.
- There are also normally a few walled layers between the Town Hall and the edge of the base. This may have defensive buildings inside or it maybe one space between walls to make attacking troops destroy another wall layer. Either of these methods is an effective way of slowing down potential attackers.
- You also need to make sure that you don’t expose too much of your base as you can lose trophies at the one star stage of getting over 50% damage to your base. So you need to make sure that enough buildings are walled around but there are enough layers of Walls to protect your Town Hall.
- However, you can lure attacking armies by placing your storages outside your walls. This will, of course, lead to major resource loss. If you are clever in your placement, you can cause significant damage to their army while they take your resources. You need to make a slight open inlet into your base where the storages are placed. Surround these with defenses so when the army is lured, you can almost wipe them out and keep overall base damage percentage low. They might not always target that building, so you will need to ensure that the rest of your base is still sufficiently protected.
A base that has worked for many low level players, that has good offense and defense proving a good base for farming and defense at the same time, is a base that looks like a piece of candy. The dimensions of the base are 12x12x12x12. You will then add square walls off the corners of the square. You should then place Archer Towers and Cannons inside the square, and then put your Town Hall, Clan Castle, good defences, Resource storages and anything else important inside. You will want to put Bombs and Spring Traps in the weak points of the base and the Mortar and other long range defences should be placed where it can cover the whole of the base. This base is usually for Town Hall level 5 and lower.)
- The most common type of base.
- Aim: To protect both trophies and resources.
- Air Defenses and Mortars need to be well spread, but they are normally also fairly centralised as well.
- Consider what to protect the most.
- You can have an interchangeable layout so you can swap storages with defences so that different things are more heavily protected.
- Another thing you may wish to do is to place Wizard Towers around storages and within range of each other. This way you can destroy large hordes of troops and Goblins and Barbarians easily.
- It is also recommended that you have your Clan Castle and Hero Altars as central as possible, so they can cover your entire base. Prioritise the positioning of these defences over Cannons or Archer Towers, which can be placed on the outskirts of your base.
- Most Hybrid bases are segmented by walls so that each compartment isn’t very big. This is a good idea so that the enemy doesn’t steal all resources and destroy your Town Hall all at once. Spread out your valuables so they can’t steal it all at once. However, make sure they are still well protected. Make any attacker have to go through at least two walls to get to a storage.
Shield Grabbing Bases are designed to get attacked, make the opponent use at least 33% of their army and receive around 30% destruction. This would give the defender a minimum of a 12 hour shield for a couple different reasons. First, you can request for Clan Castle troops to use in war at a later time. Secondly, for casual players who wish to use loot collectors (particularly Dark Elixir Drills) to their maximum ability.
This usually means giving up some type of resource in trade of a shield.
- Aim: The main goal here is to prevent enemies from gaining stars (especially all three stars) on your base, making it necessary for multiple attacks against your base.
- These types of layouts are very common and can be similar to Hybrid and Trophy bases.
- Commonly, the Defenses are the only ones barricaded by walls, leaving the collectors outside while Storages may be left outside or be placed inside to protect defenses.
- The Clan Castle is commonly at the middle of the base where it is hard to reach as usually in wars it is more common to have Clan Castle troops in war.
- Pocketing, Funneling and other ways of using your walls are included here.
- Troll-like traps can be used to stop the ever important "Clan Castle lure" which many attack strategies need to succeed.
- Engineered "anti-3 star" bases lean away from common practices and use troll-like lures to provide easy "2 star" access while preventing three stars. These can include easy access to the Town Hall to protect important defenses and subtle rings to funnel troops away from defenses.
A Troll Base is designed to fool the enemy into thinking that there is a fatal flaw in the base design and an easy target. Meanwhile, the flaw is actually a lure to decimate most attempts to exploit it.
- These base types typically use an open avenue for attack. Some use gaps in walls while others use a "hole" in their base where troops can deploy.
- Troll bases are seen both in the war and farming settings.
Putting Defenses to Use
Each defense has a job to do. Stopping different troop types and attack strategies is one of the most common ways to succeed.
Defense Against the Wall Breaker
Wall Layouts in Bases
What to Put Inside Your Walls and Why
What should you NOT put Inside Your Walls and Why
Other Wall Info
Obstacles (trees, bushes, stones, etc.) cannot be used as walls or barriers! Troops can be placed directly on top of them, in front of them, or behind them! The same goes for Decorations (flags, torches, etc), Traps (Bombs, Spring Traps, etc.) and even Hidden Teslas. None of these (with the exception of Hidden Teslas, which are hidden buildings) actually have hit points like your buildings do either. Neither do they count as building space when you're under attack (even the Hidden Teslas, until they are revealed). For example, if you have a large area of at least 3x3 with only decorations or traps within that area, enemy troops can be placed directly into the area where those Decorations, Traps or Obstacles are during an attack on your village.
- Wall Breakers have a bigger splash damage, so it is not recommended to use Double Walls, since they will destroy both lines of Walls with one blast.
- If you find some buildings not necessary to protect, leave them outside as 'buffers'. Most enemy troops will target those buildings, even while your defenses attack them.
Ranging from Cannons to Inferno Towers are apart of this foundation, it's how you place these buildings. If you want a base that would be able to withstand almost all attacks, here are some advice given by expert fellow clashers about where you should place your defenses.
Whatever base layout you choose to make, always look back afterwards and think how you would defeat your own base. Ask yourself how you can improve it. Remember that there is no such thing as the perfect base; you just need to prioritize what you want. Also, try out each base type and see which works best for you.
Here is where you can find variety of layouts which your fellow clashers decided to share, have fun picking! (If you wish to put or publish your base in here, click this link)