Wiki Targeted (Games)
Do you like this video?
- The Lightning Spell is the first spell unlocked in the Spell Factory, and is automatically unlocked once the Spell Factory has finished being built.
- Lightning does damage to Buildings and enemy Troops in a small radius, with the exception of resource storages, the Town Hall, and the Clan Castle. If a defensive structure/troop is struck by the bolt, it is stunned briefly and retargets.
- Lightning Spells are often used to take out an enemy's strong defenses, such as Mortars, Wizard Towers, X-Bows, Eagle Artillery and Air Defenses, which paves the way for troops to attack. Three or four Lightning Spells will usually suffice against them, unless the building has very high health or the spell is low leveled. 10 level 9 Lightning Spells can take out a level 4 Eagle Artillery.
- In combination with the Earthquake Spell, Lightning Spells can be used in large numbers to destroy high hitpoint buildings such as the Eagle Artillery or Scattershot directly; however, this is often not worth it unless you can destroy at least two such buildings, or otherwise get value (such as by defeating the enemy Archer Queen at the same time).
- A common use is to use lure Clan Castle troops near defenses and then drop a Lightning Spell to eliminate the troops if their health is low enough and simultaneously damage the defenses in its radius. Lightning Spells can be used to kill/damage Heroes directly too.
- If you need to destroy just one more building to reach 50% destruction, Lightning Spells can be used to destroy a Builder's Hut or Hero Altars. This is even more useful when it is sufficiently upgraded (as you would only need one when upgraded to level 5 or higher).
- While the Barbarian King, Archer Queen, and Royal Champion altars can be destroyed with no problem, the Grand Warden Altar can only be readily destroyed if the defending Grand Warden is inactive. Otherwise, the Grand Warden Altar will assume the Grand Warden's hitpoints on defense, which is too much for a single Lightning Spell to destroy.
- Only unweaponized Builder's Huts can be destroyed by a single Lightning Spell; if the Builder's Hut is weaponized, at least two or three Lightning Spells will be needed to destroy it.
- Some farming strategies such as Barch or Super Barbarians often do not need spell support. Lightning Spells are useful to fill up the spell space, so that resource collectors that are out of reach of these strategies can be damaged and looted (this is only recommended if the collector is sufficiently leveled and sufficiently filled, otherwise you risk making a loss), or to achieve 50% as described above. Note that using the Lightning Spell on the Town Hall, Clan Castle or resource storages does no damage to them.
- Lightning Spells can also be used as pseudo-Wall Breakers if necessary. Often your troops will have partially damaged a Wall during a raid before being wiped out by the defenses. As a result, other troops may be targeting buildings other than the ones you intended, because a path wasn't opened for them. If the Wall is lower level or sufficiently damaged, you may be able to use one or more Lightning Spells to finish off the Wall and open the path.
- However, beyond low-level gameplay, Walls often have too much hitpoints for this to be practical. Earthquake Spells and Jump Spells can be used instead.
- Lightning Spells can damage multiple buildings at once if they are sufficiently close together. Keep an eye out for grouped defenses (especially groups of defenses that complement each other), as they can often be severely damaged or destroyed with a few Lightning Spells.
- When trying to damage multiple buildings at once with a Lightning Spell, there are several ways to visualize its area of effect. One easy visualization is as follows: if dropped at the center of a tile, it will affect exactly 21 tiles - a 5x5 area (centered on the tile where the Lightning Spell is dropped) with the four corners removed.
- At Town Hall 8, a level 6 Air Defense can be destroyed with 4 level 5 Lightning Spells if done properly, thus making room for an extra Rage Spell that will dramatically improve mass Dragon attacks.
- Both the Lightning and Freeze Spells can disrupt the damage of a single-target Inferno Tower since it stuns. Lightning Spells are better used when an Inferno Tower has low health, as the Inferno Tower is only left inactive for a short amount of time.
- Separate important defenses. Having only one important defense (the defending Archer Queen, Eagle Artillery, Scattershot, etc.) in one area will prevent attackers from getting value from their massive amounts of Lightning Spells.
- A good way to do this is to have multiple cores in your base, with maybe two or three sections. Separating these sections can also be a good idea, although not really doing anything against Lightning Spells themselves.
- Separate your Air Defenses from your Air Sweepers. Letting attackers destroy both your Air Defenses and at least one Air Sweeper is a death sentence from Dragon or Lavaloon attacks, as the Air Sweeper is also key in defending against them.
- The Lightning Spell was added in the September 18, 2012 update, with 5 levels.
- The October 27, 2012 update reduced Lightning Spell's brewing time from 14 hours to 2 hours.
- The February 5, 2013 update reduced Lightning Spell's brewing time from 2 hours to 1 hour.
- The April 17, 2013 update reduced Lightning Spell's brewing time from 1 hour to 30 minutes.
- The June 17, 2013 update added the level 6 Lightning Spell. The update also made it so that the Battle won't end automatically if player has unused Lightning Spells.
- The November 6, 2013 update changed the Lightning Spell's cost from Gold to Elixir, along with other spells.
- The July 1, 2015 update made it so that Lightning Spells no longer damage storages. The update also reduced the Lightning Spell's brewing time from 30 minutes to 20 minutes.
- The September 9, 2015 gave the Lightning Spell a huge update:
- Added the level 7 Lightning Spell.
- Increased damage for Lightning Spell levels 5 and 6.
- Level 5 damage increased from 420 to 450.
- Level 6 damage increased from 450 to 510.
- Lightning Spell bolts now strike closer together to miss less often.
- Moved Lightning Spell level 6 to Town Hall 9.
- The May 4, 2016 balance changes reduced Lightning Spell's brewing time from 20 minutes to 10 minutes.
- The October 12, 2016 update reduced Lightning Spell's brewing time from 10 minutes to 6 minutes.
- The June 11, 2018 update increased damage of Lightning Spell from level 2 onwards.
- The June 26, 2018 balance changes reduced upgrade time of level 5 Lightning Spell by up to 35%.
- The April 2, 2019 update reduced upgrade time of levels 6 and 7 Lightning Spell.
- Level 6 reduced from 6d 12h to 6d.
- Level 7 reduced from 14d to 10d.
- The March 30, 2020 update reduced upgrade cost of levels 6 and 7 Lightning Spell.
- The June 22, 2020 update added the levels 8 and 9 Lightning Spell, and reworked the Lightning Spell.
- Instead of striking randomly in a large radius, produces a single lightning bolt which strikes in a small radius and can stun briefly. Its housing space has also been reduced to 1 which affected the icon (damage, brewing cost and time were also adjusted accordingly). Prior to the update, Lightning took two housing spaces, struck randomly six times with less powerful bolts each within the AOE, did not have a stun effect, and did not produce particles after striking the ground.
- The December 7, 2020 update made it so that Lightning Spells no longer damage Clan Castles.
- Lightning Spell's brewing time has been reduced multiple times, from 14 hours all the way to 3 minutes.
- Although the Lightning Spell can be upgraded to level 2 in the level 1 Laboratory, only Troops, and Spells that are already unlocked will appear in the Laboratory upgrade interface. The Lightning Spell will not appear in the Laboratory until the Spell Factory is built (which requires Town Hall level 5). Most players already have a level 3 Laboratory by that time; if so, the first three upgrades will be available as soon as construction of the Spell Factory finishes.
- Similar to the Bomb and Giant Bomb, the Lightning Spell leaves black scorch marks where the lightning hit, which remains for a few seconds.
- During the 2013, 2014, and 2015 Halloween event, the spark effect which the Lightning Spell normally produced was temporarily replaced with a swarm of bats.
- Out of all the spells, the Lightning Spell has the highest level, being 9.
- For a 2015 April fools prank Supercell said that Gem Boxes would be affected by Lightning Spells as well as other pranks.
- The Lightning Spell, Healing Spell, and Rage Spell were the first spells to be added to the game.
- Prior to the June 2020 update that changed the Lightning Spell, the old description was Electrocute your enemies with bolts of lightning!
Cast this spell at the enemy village to damage buildings and units inside a small area.
- The reworked Lightning bears resemblance to the Zap spell in Clash Royale instead, but it wasn't renamed. This, however, did not affect the Lightning spell in Clash Royale which keeps its appearance, and abilities.
- As of the Winter 2020 update, the Clan Castle became immune to Lightning Spell, which compromised several strategies revolving around the Lightning Spell since it was used to destroy the Clan Castle to stop reinforcements from spawning. However, some others such as Zap Drags (which involves only destroying Air Defenses to prevent them from decimating Dragons) weren't affected.
- It is one of the least expensive Elixir Spells in the game, due to it taking only one spell space compared to two or three for most other Elixir Spells and being the first Spell to unlock.
|Housing Space||Brewing Time
|Spell Factory Level Required|
||Laboratory Level Required|
*This is an approximation; it is currently unknown how long the spell actually stuns for.