Wiki Targeted (Games)
Do you like this video?
- The Lightning Spell is the first Elixir spell unlocked in the Spell Factory, and is automatically unlocked once the Spell Factory has finished being built, requiring the Town Hall to be at level 5. The Lightning Spell does damage to Buildings and enemy Troops in a small radius, with the exception of resource storages, the Town Hall, and the Clan Castle. If a Defensive Building or troop is struck by the bolt, it is stunned briefly and retargets.
- Lightning Spells are often used to take out an enemy's strong defenses, such as Mortars, Wizard Towers, X-Bows, Eagle Artillery and Air Defenses, which paves the way for troops to attack. Three or four Lightning Spells will usually suffice against them, unless the building has very high health or the spell is low leveled. 10 level 9 Lightning Spells can take out a level 4 Eagle Artillery.
- In combination with the Earthquake Spell, Lightning Spells can be used in large numbers to destroy high hitpoint buildings such as the Eagle Artillery or Scattershot directly; however, this is often not worth it unless you can destroy at least two such buildings, or otherwise get value (such as by defeating the enemy Archer Queen at the same time).
- A common use is to use lure Clan Castle troops near defenses and then drop a Lightning Spell to eliminate the troops if their health is low enough and simultaneously damage the defenses in its radius. Lightning Spells can be used to kill/damage Heroes directly too.
- However, if one simply wants to take out enemy troops, Poison Spell does better since it does more damage and slows them. However, Poison doesn't affect structures.
- If you need to destroy just one more building to reach 50% destruction, Lightning Spells can be used to destroy a Builder's Hut or Hero Altars. This is even more useful when it is sufficiently upgraded (as you would only need one when upgraded to level 5 or higher).
- While the Barbarian King, Archer Queen, and Royal Champion altars can be destroyed with no problem, the Grand Warden Altar can only be readily destroyed if the defending Grand Warden is inactive. Otherwise, the Grand Warden Altar will assume the Grand Warden's hitpoints on defense, which is too much for a single Lightning Spell to destroy.
- Only unweaponized (level 1) Builder's Huts can be destroyed by a single Lightning Spell; if the Builder's Hut is weaponized (upgraded to level 2 or higher), at least two or three Lightning Spells will be needed to destroy it.
- Some farming strategies such as Barch or Super Barbarians often do not need spell support. Lightning Spells are useful to fill up the spell space, so that resource collectors that are out of reach of these strategies can be damaged and looted (this is only recommended if the collector is sufficiently leveled and sufficiently filled, otherwise you risk making a loss), or to achieve 50% as described above. Note that using the Lightning Spell on the Town Hall, Clan Castle or resource storages does no damage to them.
- Lightning Spells can also be used as pseudo-Wall Breakers if necessary. Often your troops will have partially damaged a Wall during a raid before being wiped out by the defenses. As a result, other troops may be targeting buildings other than the ones you intended, because a path wasn't opened for them. If the Wall is lower level or sufficiently damaged, you may be able to use one or more Lightning Spells to finish off the Wall and open the path.
- However, beyond low-level gameplay, Walls often have too much hitpoints for this to be practical. Earthquake Spells and Jump Spells can be used instead.
- Lightning Spells can damage multiple buildings at once if they are sufficiently close together. Keep an eye out for grouped defenses (especially groups of defenses that complement each other), as they can often be severely damaged or destroyed with a few Lightning Spells.
- When trying to damage multiple buildings at once with a Lightning Spell, there are several ways to visualize its area of effect. One easy visualization is as follows: if dropped at the center of a tile, it will affect exactly 21 tiles - a 5x5 area (centered on the tile where the Lightning Spell is dropped) with the four corners removed.
- At Town Hall 8, a level 6 Air Defense can be destroyed with 4 level 5 Lightning Spells if done properly, thus making room for an extra Rage Spell that will dramatically improve mass Dragon attacks.
- If you have 4 level 4 Lightning Spells and can get an Earthquake Spell (from donation or yourself), that will also destroy a level 6 Air Defense.
- Both the Lightning and Freeze Spells can disrupt the damage of a single-target Inferno Tower since it stuns. Lightning Spells are better used when Inferno Tower has low health, as the Inferno Tower is only left inactive for a short amount of time.
- Separate important defenses. Having only one important defense (the defending Archer Queen, Eagle Artillery, Scattershot, etc.) in one area will prevent attackers from getting value from their massive amounts of Lightning Spells.
- A good way to do this is to have multiple cores in your base, with maybe two or three sections. Separating these sections can also be a good idea, although not really doing anything against Lightning Spells themselves.
- Separate your Air Defenses from your Air Sweepers. Letting attackers destroy both your Air Defenses and at least one Air Sweeper is a death sentence from Dragon or Lavaloon attacks, as the Air Sweeper is also key in defending against them.
|September 18, 2012||Sneak Peek||Supercell published a teaser of Lightning Spell on Facebook.|
|September 19, 2012||Update||Added the Lightning Spell, with 5 levels.|
|October 27, 2012||Update||Reduced brewing time from 14h to 2h.|
|February 5, 2013||Update||Reduced brewing time from 2h to 1h.|
|April 17, 2013||Update||Reduced brewing time from 1h to 30m.|
|June 17, 2013||Update||
|November 6, 2013||Update||The Lightning Spell, along with other spells, now cost Elixir instead of Gold to brew.|
|December 11, 2014||Update||Changed the level display from pink asterisk(s) to a number.|
|July 1, 2015||Update||
|September 9, 2015||Update||
|May 4, 2016||Balance Changes||Reduced brewing time from 20m to 10m.|
|October 12, 2016||Update||Reduced brewing time from 10m to 6m.|
|June 11, 2018||Update||
|June 26, 2018||Balance Changes||Reduced upgrade time at level 6 from 10d to 6d 12h.|
|April 2, 2019||Update||
|June 22, 2020||Update||
|December 7, 2020||Update||Lightning Spells no longer damage Clan Castles.|
- Although the Lightning Spell can be upgraded to level 2 in the level 1 Laboratory, only Troops, and Spells that are already unlocked will appear in the Laboratory upgrade interface. The Lightning Spell will not appear in the Laboratory until the Spell Factory is built (which requires Town Hall level 5). Most players already have a level 3 Laboratory by that time; if so, the first three upgrades will be available as soon as construction of the Spell Factory finishes.
- Similar to the Bomb and Giant Bomb, the Lightning Spell leaves black scorch marks where the lightning hit, which remains for a few seconds.
- During the 2013, 2014, and 2015 Halloween event, the spark effect which the Lightning Spell normally produced was temporarily replaced with a swarm of bats.
- Out of all the spells, the Lightning Spell has the highest level, being 9.
- For a 2015 April fools prank Supercell said that Gem Boxes would be affected by Lightning Spells as well as other pranks.
- The Lightning Spell, Healing Spell, and Rage Spell were the first spells to be added to the game.
- Prior to the June 2020 update that changed the Lightning Spell, the old description was Electrocute your enemies with bolts of lightning!
Cast this spell at the enemy village to damage Buildings and units inside a small area.
- The reworked Lightning bears resemblance to the Zap spell in Clash Royale instead, but it wasn't renamed. This, however, did not affect the Lightning spell in Clash Royale which keeps its appearance, and abilities.
- It is one of the least expensive Elixir Spells in the game, due to it taking only one spell space compared to two or three for most other Elixir Spells and being the first Spell to unlock.
|Housing Space||Brewing Time
|Spell Factory Level Required|
||Laboratory Level Required|
*This is an approximation; it is currently unknown how long the spell actually stuns for.