"Give your army the upper hand against enemy troops with this deadly poison!
Defending units that linger in a Poison Spell's toxic cloud will move slower, attack slower and take damage with increasing severity over time. Poison Spells do not affect structures."
- Offensive Strategy
- A Poison Spell only takes one housing space, and deals more total damage over the course of its duration than the Lightning Spell, the other spell that can be used to deal with Clan Castle Troops, which takes up the same amount of spell capacity. This makes the Poison Spell very appealing as a way to deal with Clan Castle Troops along with a few Troops to keep the enemy troops inside the area of effect of the Poison Spell.
- A Poison Spell has a circular area of effect for scaling damage, whereas a Lightning Spell strikes a small radius, dealing instantaneous damage. Which is ultimately more effective depends on the defending base's layout, as well as the what and where the Clan Castle Troops are, and the player's army composition.
- As of September 18, 2015, Poison Spells now do scaling damage in a similar manner to a single target Inferno Tower, just to a lesser extent. This scaling effect dramatically affects high hitpoint units but does not deal the same scaling damage against Heroes for balancing reasons.
- As a result of the lack of scaling damage against Heroes, the Poison Spell only does superficial damage against the Barbarian King and Archer Queen. The Poison Spell is still useful to slow them down, however, but a Freeze Spell can also be a good alternative which can also affect defenses around them.
- As the Grand Warden turns into a statue to defend (and is considered a defensive building in doing so), he is immune to the effects of Poison Spells. However, this means that he is affected by Earthquake Spells instead.
- A Poison Spell can take a significant amount of time to kill troops, depending on the type of Troops inside the Clan Castle, so make sure that you have enough time left to finish your attack after the Clan Castle troops are dealt with.
- If you see a Dragon, Balloons, or Valkyries on defense, it's good to use a Poison Spell on them, as the scaling effect is deadly against high hitpoint units.
- Multiple Poison Spells stacked will speed up the scaling process, but will not increase the maximum damage per second.
- While not a popular strategy, Poison Spells can be used to stack damage, making it possible to kill any Clan Castle units with enough spells.
- As of the March 2016 update, defending troops now run away from the area of a Poison Spell, giving the defender an advantage. However, if the attacker places down troops in the vicinity, they will prioritize engaging the troops rather than escaping the poison.
- A good offensive strategy is to lure the Clan Castle troops to the corner and then attack them with high damaging troops like the Wizard or a high number of Archers. Usually, when the Poison spell is dropped on any defending troops, and if they don't have any target, then the defending troops will walk out of the radius. So, it's good to attack them with troops while the defending troops are inside the Poison Spell, to get the full potential of the Poison spell.
- As the Loading Screen Hints would say, it is very effective to a bunch of Skeletons so when a lot of Skeleton Traps are triggered, use a small Troop to bring the Skeletons there and put a Poison Spell on it, then use Wizards to clear them.
- Defensive Strategy
- Use high damage troops like the Baby Dragon or Valkyrie to still deal good damage while under the effect. If you can get one, an Inferno Dragon is your best bet since even under poison the 3rd stage damage is extremely high.
- Ice Golems are also good because their main mechanic of freezing is not affected while under poison.
- More than one Poison Spell is normally not good. If you have a good idea of where an attacker may start a Queen or Warden Walk, then place a Hero such that their trigger radius is at or behind the Clan Castle trigger radius in that direction, so an attacker will have to fight a hero and the clan castle troops at the same time, potentially forcing more Poisons to be brought.
- Poison Spells are also used to kill Skeleton Trap Skeletons. Separate your Skeleton Traps so that multiple skeletons from multiple traps can't be killed by the same poison spell.
- Prior to the Poison Spell, strategies that did not include a Clan Castle lure utilized a well-placed Lightning Spell to destroy defensive Clan Castle troops. With the introduction of the Poison Spell, players now have a viable alternative to destroying Clan Castle troops.
- When initially released, the Poison Spell used to do constant damage over time, and troops affected by the Poison Spell did not attempt to flee its radius.
- Unlike the Clash Royale version, ghosts emerge after a Poison Spell is thrown and they keep emerging for 3 seconds along with a creepy laughing sound, rather than skulls.
- Poison Spell's brewing time has been reduced multiple times, from 15 minutes to 3 minutes.
- The Headhunter inflicts a Poison Spell-like effect on her attacks, poisoning any troops and heroes she hits to slow them down, but this effect alone does not deal any damage.
|Home Village Army|
|Elixir Troops||Barbarian • Archer • Giant • Goblin • Wall Breaker • Balloon • Wizard • Healer • Dragon • P.E.K.K.A • Baby Dragon • Miner • Electro Dragon • Yeti (Yetimite)|
|Dark Elixir Troops||Minion • Hog Rider • Valkyrie • Golem (Golemite) • Witch (Skeleton) • Lava Hound (Lava Pup) • Bowler • Ice Golem • Headhunter|
|Super Troops||Super Barbarian • Super Archer • Super Giant • Sneaky Goblin • Super Wall Breaker • Super Wizard • Inferno Dragon • Super Minion • Super Valkyrie • Super Witch (Big Boy) • Ice Hound (Ice Pup)|
|Heroes||Barbarian King • Archer Queen • Grand Warden • Royal Champion|
|Elixir Spells||Lightning Spell • Healing Spell • Rage Spell • Jump Spell • Freeze Spell • Clone Spell • Invisibility Spell|
|Dark Spells||Poison Spell • Earthquake Spell • Haste Spell • Skeleton Spell • Bat Spell|
|Siege Machines||Wall Wrecker • Battle Blimp • Stone Slammer • Siege Barracks • Log Launcher|