"Give your army the upper hand against enemy troops with this deadly poison!
Defending units that linger in a Poison Spell's toxic cloud will move slower, attack slower and take damage with increasing severity over time. Poison Spells do not affect structures."
- The Poison Spell is the first Dark Spell unlocked in the Dark Spell Factory, and is automatically unlocked once the Dark Spell Factory has finished being built, requiring the Town Hall to be at level 8. It slows down all enemy Clan Castle Troops, Heroes, and Skeletons inside its area of effect (and causes them to take damage over time). However, buildings remain unaffected from Poison Spells.
- A Poison Spell only takes one housing space, and deals more total damage over the course of its duration than the Lightning Spell, the other spell that can be used to deal with Clan Castle Troops, which takes up the same amount of spell capacity. This makes the Poison Spell very appealing as a way to deal with Clan Castle Troops along with a few troops to keep the enemy troops inside the area of effect of the Poison Spell.
- A Poison Spell has a circular area of effect for scaling damage, whereas a Lightning Spell strikes a small radius, dealing instantaneous damage. Which is ultimately more effective depends on the defending base's layout, as well as the what and where the Clan Castle Troops are, and the player's army composition.
- As of September 18, 2015, Poison Spells do scaling damage in a similar manner to a single-target Inferno Tower, just to a lesser extent. This scaling effect dramatically affects high hitpoint units but deals much less damage against Heroes for balancing reasons.
- The Poison Spell is still useful to slow defending Heroes down, however, but a Freeze Spell can also be a good alternative which can also affect defenses around them.
- As the Grand Warden turns into a statue to defend (and is considered a defensive building in doing so), he is immune to the effects of Poison Spells. However, this means that he is affected by Earthquake Spells instead.
- A Poison Spell can take a significant amount of time to kill troops, depending on the type of troops inside the Clan Castle, so make sure that you have enough time left to finish your attack after the Clan Castle troops are dealt with.
- If you see a Dragon, Balloons, or Valkyries on defense, it's good to use a Poison Spell on them, as the scaling effect is deadly against high hitpoint units.
- Although a single Poison Spell will not fully kill out very high hitpoint troops like Dragons and P.E.K.K.As, its slowing effect makes them highly vulnerable to other troops while active.
- Multiple Poison Spells stacked will speed up the scaling process, but will not increase the maximum damage per second.
- While not a popular strategy, Poison Spells can be used to stack damage, making it possible to kill any Clan Castle units with enough spells.
- As of the March 2016 update, defending troops now run away from the area of a Poison Spell, giving the defender an advantage. However, if the attacker places down troops in the vicinity, they will prioritize engaging the troops rather than escaping the poison radius.
- Heroes will not move outside of the area of the Poison Spell, even after this change.
- A good offensive strategy is to lure the Clan Castle troops to the corner and then attack them with high damaging troops like the Wizard or a high number of Archers. Usually, when the Poison Spell is dropped on any defending troops, and if they don't have any target, then the defending troops will walk out of the radius. So, it's good to attack them with troops while the defending troops are inside the Poison Spell, to get the full potential of the Poison Spell.
- Alternatively, you can use a Freeze Spell to make the Clan Castle troops unable to move, allowing the Poison Spell to rank up in damage.
- As the Loading Screen Hints would say, it is very effective to a bunch of Skeletons so when a lot of Skeleton Traps are triggered, use a small troop (with low hitpoints) to bring the Skeletons there and put a Poison Spell on it, then use Wizards to clear them. On the other hand, the Poison Spell's damage would be enough to take out the skeletons itself, but you will need distraction Troops for it to work.
- Use high damage troops like the Baby Dragon or Valkyrie to still deal good damage while under the effect. If you can get one, an Inferno Dragon is your best bet since even under poison, the 3rd stage damage is extremely high.
- Ice Golems are also good because their main mechanic of freezing is not affected while under poison.
- More than one Poison Spell is normally not good. If you have a good idea of where an attacker may start a Queen or Warden Walk, then place a Hero such that their trigger radius is at or behind the Clan Castle trigger radius in that direction, so an attacker will have to fight a hero and the Clan Castle troops at the same time, potentially forcing more Poisons to be brought.
- Poison Spells are also used to kill Skeleton Trap Skeletons. Separate your Skeleton Traps so that multiple Skeletons from multiple traps can't be killed by the same Poison Spell.
|February 17, 2013||Ferniii suggested adding the Poison Spell.|
|June 28, 2015||Introduced the Poison Spell in the sneak peek, with 4 levels.|
|July 1, 2015||Added the Poison Spell.|
|July 10, 2015||Fixed Player profile for Dark Elixir Spells (showing unlocked when that was not the case).|
|September 9, 2015||
|March 21, 2016||
|May 4, 2016||Reduced brewing time from 10m to 5m.|
|October 12, 2016||Reduced brewing time from 5m to 3m.|
|December 19, 2016||
|June 26, 2018||Reduced upgrade times at level 1-4.|
|June 18, 2019||Added the level 6 Poison Spell.|
|March 30, 2020||Added the level 7 Poison Spell.|
|April 12, 2021||Added the level 8 Poison Spell.|
|December 9, 2021||Reduced upgrade costs and times at levels 2-6.|
- The Poison Spell, Earthquake Spell and Haste Spell, were the first Dark Spells to be added to the game.
- Prior to the Poison Spell, strategies that did not include a Clan Castle lure utilized a well-placed Lightning Spell to destroy defensive Clan Castle troops. With the introduction of the Poison Spell, players now have a viable alternative to destroying Clan Castle troops.
- Unlike the Clash Royale counterpart, ghosts emerge after a Poison Spell is thrown and they keep emerging for 3 seconds along with a creepy laughing sound, rather than skulls.
- In addition to that, the Clash Royale counterpart deals constant damage, affects buildings and does slow down enemies for 15% from their original speed.
- The Poison is red in Clash Royale, but in Clash of Clans, the Poison is orange.
- The sound effects and sprites remain identical.
- Poison Spell's brewing time has been reduced multiple times, from 15 minutes to 3 minutes.
- The Headhunter inflicts a Poison Spell-like effect on her attacks, poisoning any troops and heroes she hits to slow them down, but this effect alone does not deal any damage.
- The Poison Spell is the Dark Spell that has the highest level at max, being 8.
|Housing Space||Brewing Time
|Dark Spell Factory Level Required|
|4 tiles||Area Splash||1||3m||Ground & Air||1|
||Max damage per second
||Attack Rate Decrease
||Laboratory Level Required|